Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 15-07.14.11

Today is Bastille Day!!!
morning:
-breakfast
-wait for the beach-clean up taxi and practice lassoing 
Dylan lassoing

Moss, who actually got it, lassoing

James, pretending to be a cowboy, lassoing


  group:
   Moss
   Jeff
   Ora
   Dylan
   James
-met a group of French tourists with a baby who were really nice...they were going on the same hike we had done before, only the other way; they also told me I spoke very good French which made my day!
-a lady gave us juices and oranges to snack on because she was so thankful/felt bad for us because we were working on a holiday when no one else was out
Ora chilling out in the cabana on the beach


-we had to walk at least half of the way back to home base (all uphill) because the taxi never came due to a paint spill when we were finally picked up along the road
-went to l'anse-a-dos for a Bastille Day Party and swimming fun
Then...this happened:


I was swimming in the ocean. All was good. Then I went to get out on this pier/dock thing that was really the only manageable way to get out. Cool. So you have to make sure you go with the wave to get out, and I just missed the wave so I let myself fall back into the water. In the midst of falling back into the water, I managed to kick a sea urchin and perhaps the stone wall as well. So, I wound up with 12 spines on the top of my foot, and an ankle injury.

It was Bastille Day, of course, so there were a bunch of people around as I am sobbing on the beach. EMS arrives and hauls me away in the ambulance to the one doctor on the island who of course was not there that day. So, they took me back to the place we were staying where they put candle wax on the spines and then put a flame on my foot in the hopes that the spines would come out, but no...it just burned my foot. 


ahhhh!!!!!




I spent the rest of the day soaking my foot in water, and icing it.  
When the pain returned, the staff figured out that it might be an ankle injury, so they made a makeshift splint and tied me to a bench.


That night, I was tied to the bed post because they were afraid of me moving my ankle in my sleep...ahh the life!

1 comment:

  1. Omg why did you stop here? What happened?! I've read every single word of your blog. Please tell me what happened with your ankle and everything?!

    ReplyDelete